This article describes how to import multiple subscribers. How to add subscribers one by one is shown here.
Before you start, make sure you have a list of your subscribers
- in TXT or CSV file with UTF-8 encoding (UTF-8 strongly recommended)
- the document is divided in separated columns (one column for email addresses, one for first name, etc.)
- The only mandatory column is the email address.
You will find all the details below. So let's get started!
To import your subscribers, simply go to your Subscribers section on the left side of your screen.
In the upper right-hand corner, just below your profile picture, click on the purple arrow (1) which opens a drop-down menu. Choose the first option Import Subscribers (2).
The Contact import page appears.
You can import your subscribers from a CSV file or from a TXT file. In the left panel you choose the particular file with contacts. You can:
- drag-and-drop the file into the panel (1),
- choose the file using file manager (2).
Another way how to import the contacts is to copy-paste them into the panel. Just click on Copy text data (3). We will focus on this option later on in this article.
If you'd like to upload something from EXCEL file, check out this manual. With Excel, just make sure your file has UTF-8 coding.
If you're using Google Spreadsheets, check out this manual. Make sure that your contacts are in their own column.
For any import, email address is the unique identifier for the system – which has to be included in every import. Without address the contact will not be created (see the chapter History of imports).
Import from a file
It doesn't matter if you have drag-and-dropped the file or used file manager, the file will appear in the list (1). You can import contacts from several files at once.
Please notice, that after the first file is uploaded, the area where you can drag-and-drop the other files, is smaller now (2).
In the Central panel
- you can choose a static List into which all the imported contacts will be added,
- if your file uses different coding than UTF-8, please select it (UTF-8 is strongly recommended),
- you have to confirm the file type,
- if your file uses different delimiter than semicolon, please fill in the correct one.
In the Right panel, you decide
- if you want to send opt-in emails. Here is an Article dedicated to Opt-in emails.
- If your file contains a header in its first row,
- if subscriber should be created in case of an error. The system automatically detects several field parameters. If your data doesn't meet these parameters, these contacts will end up with an error status. Contacts that does not contain email address will not be created in any case.
- Are you importing unsubscribed contacts? If all the subscribers in your file are unsubscribed, tick Yes in Import of unsubscribed contacts and the status of all contacts will be Unsubscribed.
- If you import contacts that already exist in your company's audience, the original version of the contact can be updated or overwritten.
Updating: all original values will be preserved and only empty fields will get new data. It is suitable for example if you would like to add subscribers in a particular audience List.
Overwriting: the original contact will receive all the values from the new import - overwriting the old data if needed.
After everything is set, click Next and you are going to map the data in your file.
In the next screen you see the first 4 rows of your data and you will choose the type of information in each column (1). Clever AIM will suggest the type of data it recognizes, but you have to choose from the drop-down menu for the rest.
If there are more than 5 columns in your file, an arrow on the right side of the table will appear (2) and by clicking on it you will get "the second page" with the next 5 columns.
Please be aware that email address is the unique identifier of each contact, which means
- email address has to be present for each subscriber - if address is missing, subscriber will not be imported.
- Only one column of particular file can be mapped as an email address.
Column with data you don't want to import in Clever AIM label Skip (3). You will find this option at the top of the drop-down menu.
Make sure you have checked data type of columns on all pages. If you are done, click Next.
Voila, your import is done!
Importing from multiple files
You can import subscribers from multiple files. Just upload them all together
Continue with the remaining settings the same way like if you upload only one file. Proceed to the mapping screen and you will see it is slightly different:
- Each file has its own mapping,
- but you can use mapping rules of one file for the other files, just tick the "Use this mapping for all other file". This is suitable if all the uploaded files have the same structure.
You can upload files with different number of columns or different order of the columns. You just have to map them correctly.
With files that contain more than 5 columns make sure to check columns from the second or third page. Look for blue arrow next to the table with more than 5 columns.
Click Next and you are done - subscribers from all your files have been added.
Importing copy-pasted list of contacts
Importing copy-pasted contacts is almost the same as importing from a file. In the Contact import page click on Copy text data.
You will notice, that the Left and Central panel have slightly changed.
In the Left panel paste the contacts - they have to follow the same conditions as contacts in a file:
- data has to be divided in separated columns (one column for email addresses, one for first name, etc.),
- the only mandatory column is the email address.
In the reduced Central panel
- you can choose a List into which all the imported contacts will be added,
- you have to confirm which delimiter is used to divide the columns (semicolon is the default value).
The Right panel and the rest of the process is the same as for importing from a file, so don't worry and go ahead! :-)
After finishing the import, you can check your new subscribers in the Subscribers section.